Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Deployment has come!

I know it has been FOREVER, but our computer has been broken. Our internet is back up, but I still can't get into everything I need, so I'm trying to install everything so I can put on a massive slide show of the last four months. Maybe really soon.

Anyway, it's official, Evan has deployed and we already miss him so much. He left on Tuesday and arrived in Kyrgyzstan today. From the sounds of it (on our 15 minute timed phone call) we won't get to talk much, but hopfully we'll have email soon. He sounded very tired and a little nervous, but I'm sure a lot of that was jet lag. He's on the night shift, but that is daytime over here. We aren't sure when he is coming back (his orders are for a year) but we are hoping for sometime late May or early June. The kiddos already miss him so much and like to kiss his picture all day. I am ordering their Daddy Pillows this week, so hopfully that will help. FYI for people that aren't family and don't know, the kids and I are staying in Washington during the deployment for lots of crazy reasons!! We are very grateful for Grandma and Grandpa Gibson who would have loved to have us stay with them. We were able to enjoy a great visit with them before Evan deployed. We felt bad that they came to see him off, but then his deployment got bumped and they had to leave before he did. It was nice to spend some time with Daddy before he left. The kids were eating him up. They thought it was funny to see Daddy shave his head the morning he left (as you can see below). Evan said it was pretty cool to see all the military in the terminal when they all got stuck in Maine (another long story). It's so interesting to have always had an appreciation for the military and always getting the grateful feeling when seeing soldiers in uniform, and now having Evan serve in the military. With now so many friends, and family (we love you Andy) serving in the military, it's a whole different feeling of appreciation and love. These guys and gals are great!!! They sacrifice a lot and I am so grateful and indebted to them. It always breaks my heart to see the children though. They are so proud, but the miss them so much. I thought it would be a little easier with Carsyn being older and able to at least understand a little. I'm not so sure now. She really does understand that her Daddy will be gone for a long time--"Like Logan's Daddy," she says. (Our great friends the Berry's--we miss you guys!) She had probably asked at least 20 times today where Kyrgyzstan is and if it we would be able to drive there. She has also been very concerned with wanting to know that Daddy really is in Kyrgyzstan and off of the plane--the really big plane. She is such a sweetheart and such a good girl. She is so close to Evan and it is really hard to already see her miss him so much. Daddy is always the one she wants to just talk to. I'm glad we have the web cam and am hoping we get to see him once in awhile.

Thanks to all of our family and friends that keep us in your prayers. Prayers work!! We couldn't do this without you and are so grateful for all of you!!


(ignore the massively tired look of our family!!)










12 comments:

Lisa R said...

Tell Evan we appreciate all he is doing. Hang in there, and if you are ever in CoMo give us a call!

Kellie said...

Precious pictures! Hope things go well and that he gets to come home soon!

kelie said...

That just makes me want to cry! You are stronger than I could ever be. Evan will be in our prayers!

Melissa said...

Thank you for letting him serve so we can all be protected. You are in my prayers.

d.r. gib said...

Evan looks great! We love you guys so much and you are all in our prayers. Thank you for the updates. Call! Miss you! Hugs and kisses to the little ones.

Shannon said...

I haven't read it yet, just looked at pics, so beautiful! I miss you guys so mcuh! Hang in there Jamie-you are so strong and youll do great! Promise me to try and get some sleep! Love you guys!

Jill said...

We love and miss you guys! We are so proud of Evan and of you! We will be praying everyday! Hope to see you soon!

Stephanie said...

We will be keeping you all in our prayers! We, too, appreciate what he (and you) are doing. Hang in there!

berry family said...

We miss you guys too! We will keep Evan in our prayers as well. Mine as will add them to the list of all of our friends who serve. (Parley,Evan and Kent.)I hope Washington is treating you guys great. I will have to call you soon.
Rashelle

Colton Anne said...

Like the pics...I hope you guys are doing well. I can only imagine how hard it is for all of you guys. We hope he gets to come home sooner than you expect!

Roger Gibson said...

Those pictures of you guys are cute. I love the one with the long road in the background symbolizing the long road ahead. But it's been more than a week now! Hang in there!

Cari said...

I can't imagine how hard it would be to do what you are doing! I can't even get through a whole day sometimes without counting the minutes til Jeff gets home. Hang in there and give those kiddos hugs from us.