Friday, August 15, 2008

Amazing Crescent Rolls!



Okay--kind of a weird post, but-I'm alright with it! Some of you know that I got on a big NO High Fructose Corn Syrup kick back in April! It is sooo bad for our kids and science only knows the short term affects. Anyway, I decided to test it out for a couple of months in between appointments with the kids to see if there was any change. (FYI, Carsyn is SSOOO Short and has always been fine weight wise and then started weighing more then was healthy for her heighth in December and we couldn't get it to come back down. Carsyn is a really healthy eater too, so I was willing to try this to see if it was true!) Anyway, as a family we cut out all foods with HFCS and two months later there was a vertical drop on her graph right back to where she should have been!! It was awesome! We all feel so much better too! (HFCS can shut down your liver, cause diabetes, affects your brain and memory and much more!) So, with cutting HFCS from our diets--and believe me it is in EVERYTHING, I've had to start making more at home--which I love because cooking is my hobby! Well-to the point of this post-crescent rolls have HFCS in them if you buy them at the store, so I tried a recipe for them off of Kat's Recipe blog and they were awesome!! Seriously--we are way picky on our crescents! Best parts--no kneeding-just mix in a bowl and refridgerate overnight and NO HFCS!! I thought I would share because they were a HUGE hit at our little luncheon! We ate them with chicken salad and they were really good! I just thought I'd pass on the recipe because they were fabulous! I also put a pic up because they were so cool!! LOL (It's a restaraunt size baking sheet too, but those rolls are 2X's the size they said to make because we were doing sandwiches. I made them regular sized for the kids and they would have been perfect for a dinner too!) After all this blabbing I guess I'll go. If you want anymore info on HFCS, just let me know, I'd be glad to share!!


Easy Rolls
These rolls are really good, you don't have to knead them, and they actually turn out! They use less flour to ensure that they will be soft and tender, so don't skip the "chill in the refrigerator" part!

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups very warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups flour

Let the yeast foam in the warm water, then stir the rest of the ingredients in. If you can't get the shortening to completely mix in by just stirring, don't worry about it. It's ok if there are still little teaspoon size blobs of shortening in it every here and there. Let it rise until doubled. Punch down and put in the refrigerator overnight or at least 3 hours. Roll out half the dough at a time onto a surface sprayed with Pam. (Instead of flour) Brush with a little melted butter, and cut into 16 pie shaped pieces. Roll each piece up beginning with the wide side of the triangle, rolling down to the point. Place them on a greased baking sheet with the point side tucked under. Brush tops lightly with butter. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Alisa

FYI--I used 1/2 bread flour--I don't know if it would make a difference! Jamie

4 comments:

Jill said...

Nice rolls! I'll have to try them!

Anonymous said...

CAn't wait to visit and try them in person.

Papa

Lisa R said...

That is good information to have. Tyler is in the less than 10% for his growth, so that is something I may have to worry about later. Thanks!

d.r. gib said...

I am so glad you found that on the recipe blog, I have found so many yummy things there.